ReFrame Stamp for Gender-Balanced Production
2018 Submission Form – Animated Feature Film
ANIMATED FEATURE FILM CRITERIA
Films must achieve 4 points within these 8 qualifiers, with at least 2 points from the director, writer and female lead categories.
Female* Lead (Top 1 slot listed on call sheet).
- 1 point for a female lead
- 2 points for a female lead of color
Female co-lead (Top 2-5 slots on the call sheet).
- 1 point for a female co-lead
- 2 points for a female co-lead of color
Female representation on screen.**
- 1 point when 50% of the screen time is female. This is a measurement of how many women appear and speak on screen.
- 2 points when 25% of the screen time is females of color. This is a measurement of how many women appear and speak on screen.
Female director (Including one half of a co-directing team).
- 1 point for a female director
- 2 points for a female director of color
Female writer (including: screenplay by, written by, co-written by. Does not include: story by or based on a book by).
- 1 point for a credited female writer
- 2 points for a credited female writer of color
Female Producer (to include Executive Producer, Producer, Associate Producer, Co-Producer, Line Producer).
- 1 point for a female Producer
- 2 points for a female Producer of color
50% of Department Heads are female (with the department heads to be counted being: Director of Photography, Head of Layout, Production Designer, Art Director, Character Designer, Head of Character Animation, Head of Story, Editor, Music By/Composer, Sound Designer, Visual Effects Supervisor, Casting). This does not include: Producer, Writer and Director because they are counted in the categories above.
- 1 point for 50% department heads
- 2 points for 25% department heads of color
50% of Crew Members (not including department heads who are counted above).
- 1 point for 50% crew are female
- 2 points for 25% female crew of color (please note: we are currently unable to count people of color on crew, because the data does not yet exist. We are exploring ways to collect this data).
* Female is defined as any person who identifies as female or identifies as a woman.
** Screen time analysis of gender and racial representation provided by the Geena Davis Inclusion Quotient (GD-IQ).
Process + Timeline
IMDbPro data was used by ReFrame to review numbers in seven of the eight qualifying categories for the top 100 box-office grossing films in 2017. In areas where gender was not marked on IMDbPro, ReFrame interns and staff researched names to determine gender. We believe the margin of error to be less than 1%, based on an extensive analysis of IMDbPro data. We will continue to refine this process in future years.
The category of Female Representation on Screen was determined using GD-IQ for films rated G, PG and PG13. GD-IQ provided screen time analysis of gender and racial representation on screen as one measure for the ReFrame Stamp. The Geena Davis Inclusion Quotient (GD-IQ) launched in September 2016 by the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media in partnership with the USC Viterbi School of Engineering and Google. Animation and R rated films were determined internally. The technology has not yet been developed to count screen time in animation.
Films from 2017 that received the stamp were announced via press release in June of 2018 and listed on the ReFrame and IMDbPro websites. The stamp will be available for end credits and marketing materials.
Beginning June 15, 2018, studios/networks/production companies can submit eligible projects year-round so that they don’t have to wait for the annual list and can use the stamp immediately. The submissions will be vetted with IMDbPro data. ReFrame will publish an annual top 100 list of qualifying film and television productions.
Appeals for ReFrame Stamp submissions may be submitted in writing to ReFrame@wif.org and will be independently reviewed by a panel of ReFrame Ambassadors.
The Stamp Itself
ReFrame Stamp recipients will live on the ReFrame and IMDbPro websites, where “recognized’ films a will be listed and “stamped.”
To apply, fill out the fields below: